SEARCH WITHIN CONTENT
Citation Information : Australasian Orthodontic Journal. Volume 31, Issue 1, Pages 87-97, DOI: https://doi.org/10.21307/aoj-2020-144
License : (CC BY 4.0)
Published Online: 15-August-2021
Background: The present case report describes the orthodontic treatment and long-term follow-up of an adult female patient (27 years) who was diagnosed with a mild Class III malocclusion characterised by an anterior and lateral open bite and three periodontally-compromised first permanent molars.
Aim: The aim of treatment was to provide an acceptable aesthetic and functional occlusion while, at the same time, improving the periodontal prognosis.
Methods: The patient was treated with fixed orthodontic appliances utilising direct and indirect skeletal anchorage derived from two mini-screws placed in the palate and one mandibular buccal mini-screw.
Results: The objectives of good aesthetics, a functional occlusion, a healthy periodontium and a balanced profile were achieved. The total treatment time was 31 months, which comprised 13 months of maxillary fixed labial appliances and 25 months of mandibular fixed labial appliances. The three-year follow-up records showed stability of the Class III correction.
1. Moyers RE. Handbook of Orthodontics. 2nd edn. Chicago, Illinois: Year Book Medical Publishers, Inc., 1966.
2. Baik UB, Chun YS, Jung MH, Sugawara J. Protraction of mandibular second and third molars into missing first molar spaces for a patient with an anterior open bite and anterior spacing. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2012;141:783-95.
3. Nagaraj K, Upadhyay M, Yadav S. Titanium screw anchorage for protraction of mandibular second molars into first molar extraction sites. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2008;134:583-91.
4. Kyung SH, Choi JH, Park YC. Miniscrew anchorage used to protract lower second molars into first molar extraction sites. J Clin Orthod 2003;37:575-9.
5. Roberts WE, Nelson CL, Goodacre CJ. Rigid implant anchorage to close a mandibular first molar extraction site. J Clin Orthod 1994;28:693-704.
6. Wilmes B, Nienkemper M, Nanda R, Lübberink G, Drescher D. Palatally anchored maxillary molar mesialization using the mesialslider. J Clin Orthod 2013;47:172-9.
7. Wilmes B, Drescher D. A miniscrew system with interchangeable abutments. J Clin Orthod 2008;42:574-80.
8. Wilmes B. Fields of application of mini-implants. In: Ludwig B, Baumgaertel S, Bowman SJ. Mini-Implants in Orthodontics: Innovative Anchorage Concepts. Berlin, New York: Quintessence Publishing Co Ltd, 2008;91-122.
9. Deguchi T, Takano-Yamamoto T, Kanomi R, Hartsfield JK Jr, Roberts WE, Garetto LP. The use of small titanium screws for orthodontic anchorage. J Dent Res 2003;82:377-81.
10. Wilmes B, Drescher D, Nienkemper M. A miniplate system for improved stability of skeletal anchorage. J Clin Orthod 2009;43:494-501.
11. Graber T, Vanarsdall R, Vig KWL. The decision-making process in orthodontics. In: Orthodontics: current principles and techniques. 5th edn. Philadelphia: Elsevier, 2012;3-58.
12. Ludwig B, Glasl B, Bowman SJ, Wilmes B, Kinzinger GS, Lisson JA. Anatomical guidelines for miniscrew insertion: palatal sites. J Clin Orthod 2011;45:433-41.
13. Lim HJ, Choi YJ, Evans CA, Hwang HS. Predictors of initial stability of orthodontic miniscrew implants. Eur J Orthod 2011;33:528-32.
14. Kim YH, Yang SM, Kim S, Lee JY, Kim KE, Gianelly AA et al. Midpalatal miniscrews for orthodontic anchorage: factors affecting clinical success. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2010;137:66-72.
15. Pjetursson BE, Brägger U, Lang NP, Zwahlen M. Comparison of survival and complication rates of tooth-supported fixed dental prostheses (FDPs) and implant-supported FDPs and single crowns (SCs). Clin Oral Implants Res 2007;18:97-113.
16. Josefsson E, Brattström V, Tegsjö U, Valerius-Olsson H. Treatment of lower second premolar agenesis by autotransplantation: four-year evaluation of eighty patients. Acta Odontol Scand 1999;57:111-5.
17. Holberg C, Winterhalder P, Holberg N, Wichelhaus A, RudzkiJanson I. Indirect miniscrew anchorage: biomechanical loading of the dental anchorage during mandibular molar protraction – an FEM analysis. J Orofac Orthop 2014;75:16-24.
18. Uribe F, Janakiraman N, Fattal AN, Schincaglia GP, Nanda R. Corticotomy-assisted molar protraction with the aid of temporary anchorage device. Angle Orthod 2013;83:1083-92.
19. Jacobs C, Jacobs-Müller C, Luley C, Erbe C, Wehrbein H. Orthodontic space closure after first molar extraction without skeletal anchorage. J Orofac Orthop 2011;72:51-60.
20. Stepovich ML. A clinical study on closing edentulous spaces in the mandible. Angle Orthod 1979;49:227-33.
21. Jung MH, Kim TW. Biomechanical considerations in treatment with miniscrew anchorage. Part 1: the sagittal plane. J Clin Orthod 2008;42:79-83.
22. Sugawara J, Baik UB, Umemori M, Takahashi I, Nagasaka H, Kawamura H et al. Treatment and posttreatment dentoalveolar changes following intrusion of mandibular molars with application of a skeletal anchorage system (SAS) for open bite correction. Int J Adult Orthodon Orthognath Surg 2002;17:243-53.
23. Lindskog-Stokland B, Wennström JL, Nyman S, Thilander B. Orthodontic tooth movement into edentulous areas with reduced bone height. An experimental study in the dog. Eur J Orthod 1993;15:89-96.
24. Lindskog-Stokland B, Hansen K, Ekestubbe A, Wennström JL. Orthodontic tooth movement into edentulous ridge areas – a case series. Eur J Orthod 2013;35:277-85.
25. Hom BM, Turley PK. The effects of space closure of the mandibular first molar area in adults. Am J Orthod 1984;85:457-69.
26. Li W, Chen F, Zhang F, Ding W, Ye Q, Shi J et al. Volumetric measurement of root resorption following molar mini-screw implant intrusion using cone beam computed tomography. PloS one 2013;8:e60962.
27. Greenlee GM, Huang GJ, Chen SS, Chen J, Koepsell T, Hujoel P. Stability of treatment for anterior open-bite malocclusion: a metaanalysis. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2011;139:154-69.