SEARCH WITHIN CONTENT
Citation Information : International Journal on Smart Sensing and Intelligent Systems. Volume 2, Issue 4, Pages 540-548, DOI: https://doi.org/10.21307/ijssis-2017-366
License : (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0)
Published Online: 03-November-2017
H2S gas sensing response characteristics of bare SnO2 thin films and heterostuctures with nanolayer (10 nm) of Cu and CuO are studied. Changes in resistance values, occurring with integration of Cu and CuO nanolayers on SnO2 is acquired real-time, and compared. Rise in sensor resistance after introduction of Cu and CuO nanolayers on SnO2 sensing layer is understood to enhance the sensing response characteristics. Formation of space charge region between p-type CuO and n-type SnO2 and difference in work-function values between catalyst and sensing layer are shown to govern the increased value of starting resistance. Increase in starting resistance and lowering of resistance in presence of H2S due to spill-over of dissociated H2S gas molecule are playing crucial role in influencing the sensing response.
1. Arijit Chowdhuri, P. Sharma, Vinay Gupta, K. Sreenivas and K.V. Rao “H2S gas sensing mechanism of SnO2 films with ultrathin CuO dotted islands,” J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 92, No. 4 2002, pp. 2172 - 2180
2. D. Haridas, K. Sreenivas and V. Gupta, “Improved response characteristics of SnO2 thin film loaded with nanoscale catalysts for LPG detection”, Sens. Actuators B 133, 2008, pp. 270-275
3. T. Maekawa, J. Tamaki, N. Miura and N. Yamazoe ” Sensing behavior of CuO loaded SnO2 element for H2S detection,” Chem. Lett., Vol 20, No. 4, 1991, pp. 575-578.
4. Arijit Chowdhuri, Vinay Gupta and K. Sreenivas “Fast response H2S gas sensing characteristics with ultra-thin CuO islands on sputtered SnO2,” Sens. Actuators B 93, 2003, pp. 572 – 579.
5. V. Lantto, P. Romppainen, T. S. Rantala and S. Leppavuori, “Equilibrium and non-equilibrium conductance response of sintered SnO2 samples to H2S”, Sens. Actuators B 5, 1991, pp 451-455.
6. L. Jianping, W. Yue, G. Xiaoguang, M. Quing W. Li, H. Jinghong, Sens. Actuators B 65, 2000, pp 111 - 113
7. R. B. Vasiliev, M. N. Rumyantseva, S. E. Podguzova, A. S. Ryzhikov, L. I. Ryabova and A. M. Gaskov, Mater. Sci. Engg. B 57, 1991, pp 241 – 246
8. Arijit Chowdhuri, Vinay Gupta, K. Sreenivas, Rajeev Kumar, Subho Mozumdar and P. K. Patanjali “Response speed of SnO2-based H2S gas sensors with CuO nanoparticles,” Appl. Phys. Lett. Vol. 84, 2004, pp. 1180 – 1182.
9. J. Li, G. Vizkelethy, P. Revesz, J. W. Mayer and K. N. Tu ”Oxidation and reduction of copper oxide thin films,” J. Appl. Phys. Vol. 69, No.2, 1991, pp. 1020 - 1029