SEARCH WITHIN CONTENT
Citation Information : International Journal on Smart Sensing and Intelligent Systems. Volume 3, Issue 1, Pages 118-129, DOI: https://doi.org/10.21307/ijssis-2017-384
License : (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0)
Published Online: 13-December-2017
Some studies on the fabrication of micro-needles, micro-pillers, and micro-channels using SU-8 negative photoresist for MEMS and bio-applications are reported. The SU-8 processing technology was standardized for the purpose. Micro-pillars were fabricated on SU-8 polymer by soft lithographic technique. Micro-needles were realized on SU-8 film utilizing lensing effect of the etched groove structure of the glass substrate. Micro-channel was fabricated by molding of PDMS polymer on patterned SU-8 ridge structure. Structural characterization of the fabricated structures were investigated using optical microscope and SEM.
1. J-H Park, M.G. Allen, and M.R. Prausnitr, “Biodegradable polymer microneedles: fabrication, mechanics and transdermal drug delivery”, J. of Controlled Release, vol. 104, pp. 51-66, 2005.
2. Joseph C. Doll, Nahid Harjee, Nathan Klejwa, Ronald Kwon, Sarah M. Coulthard, Bryan Petzold, Miriam B. Goodman and Beth L. Pruitt, “SU-8 force sensing pillar arrays for biological measurements”, Lab Chip, vol. 9, pp. 1449 - 1454, DOI: 10.1039/b818622g, 2009
3. Masaya Miyazaki and Hideaki Maeda,” Microchannel enzyme reactors and their applications for processing”, Trends in Biotechnology, Vol. 24 No. 10, 2006.
4. Seok Pil Jang, Stephen U.S. Choi, “Cooling performance of microchannel heat sink with nanofluids”, Applied Thermal Engg. Vol. 26 , pp. 2457-2463, (2006)
5. Lorentz H, DespontM, Fahrni N, LaBlance N, Renaud P “SU-8: a low cost negative resist for MEMS “,J. Micromech.Microeng. pp.7121, 1997
6. D.P. Acharya, “Geometrical Optics for Advanced Students”, Oxford & IBH Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, 1987.
7. J.C. McDonald, G.M. Whitesides,”Poly (dimethylsiloxane) as a Material for Fabricating Microfluidic Devices,” Accounts of Chemical Research, Vol.53 no 7, pp 491-499, July 2002.
8. Lorentz H, Laudon M and Renaud P “Mechanical characterisation of a new high-aspect-ratio near UV resist”, Microelectron. Eng.vol. 371, pp. 41-42, 1998
9. Zhang J, Tan K L, Hong G D, Yang L J and Gong H Q”Polymerisation optimisation of SU-8 photoresist and its applications in microfluidic systems and MEMS”, J. Micromech.Microeng. vol. 11, pp. 20, 2001