SEARCH WITHIN CONTENT
Citation Information : Journal of Ultrasonography. Volume 15, Issue 62, Pages 307-317, DOI: https://doi.org/10.15557/JoU.2015.0027
License : (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0)
Received Date : 17-June-2015 / Accepted: 17-August-2015 / Published Online: 13-September-2016
The paper presents standards related to ultrasound imaging of the cerebral vasculature and structures. The aim of this paper is to standardize both the performance and description of ultrasound imaging of the extracranial and intracranial cerebral arteries as well as a study of a specifi c brain structure, i.e. substantia nigra hyperechogenicity. The following aspects are included in the description of standards for each ultrasonographic method:equipment requirements, patient preparation, study technique and documentation as well as the required elements of ultrasound description. Practical criteria for the diagnosis of certain pathologies in accordance with the latest literature were also presented. Furthermore, additional comments were included in some of the sections. Part I discusses standards for the performance, documentation and description of different ultrasound methods (Duplex, Doppler). Part II and III are devoted to standards for specifi c clinical situations (vasospasm, monitoring after the acute stage of stroke, detection of a right-toleft shunts, confi rmation of the arrest of the cerebral circulation, an assessment of the functional effi ciency of circle of Willis, an assessment of the cerebrovascular vasomotor reserve as well as the measurement of substantia nigra hyperechogenicity).
1. Widder B, Goertler M: Doppler und Duplexsonographie der hirnversorgenden Arterien. Springer Verlag, Berlin – Heidelberg – New York 2004.
2. Bartels E: Color-Coded Duplex Ultrasonography of the Cerebral Vessels. Schattauer Verlagsgeselshaft, Stuttgart – New York 1999.
3. Wojczal J, Kaźmierski R, Kozera G, Gabriel M, Wawrzyńczyk M, Bartman W et al.: Standardy badań neurosonologicznych. In:Kaźmierski R (ed.): Podręcznik diagnostyki ultrasonograficznej w neurologii. Czelej, Lublin 2011.
4. Stanziale SF, Wholey MH, Boules TN, Selzer F, Makaroun MS: Determining in-stent stenosis of carotid arteries by duplex ultrasound criteria. J Endovasc Ther 2005; 12: 346–353.
5. Alexandrov AV: Cerebrovascular Ultrasound in Stroke Prevention, and Treatment. Blackwell (Futura), Oxford 2004.
6. Newell DW, Aaslid R: Transcranial Doppler. Raven Press, New York 1992.
7. Tegeler CT, Babikian VL, Gomez RC (ed.): Neurosonology. Mosby – Year Book, St. Louis 1996.